Thursday, June 9, 2016

4 Ways To Use Zucchini


 
 
It is that time of the year here in central Alabama, Zucchini is in full production, so what can you do with a lot of zucchini? Today I will share 4 ways to use zucchini and its simple as can be.

Zucchini is one of the vegetables that can be used in savory dishes as well as sweet dishes. The zucchini takes on the flavor of what you add to it.

 Lets get started.
 
 

Number one was the fun and best tasting of all, Zucchini jam. Yes you read that right jam and this one is so easy I know I will for sure be making cases of zucchini jam to have all winter and to share as homemade gifts.

I actually got the recipe Here http://allrecipes.com/recipe/146995/zucchini-jelly/ , but then I changed it a little to suit my personal taste.

I used :

Six cups of grated Zucchini that was peeled and seeds removed.

Four cups of sugar.

Two small cans of crushed pineapple that was drained.

One half cup of "fresh" squeezed lemon juice.

One box of Strawberry Jello.

I mixed the first four ingredients in a large saucepan and cooked this over medium heat till the zucchini was clear,I removed it from the heat. Next I added the strawberry Jello and mixed till it was dissolved completely.

I ladled into hot sterilized half pint jars, put the hot lids on and I processed this for 7 minutes in a hot water bath.

Removed onto a clean towel and allowed to cool.

This recipe made seven half pint jars.
 
 

Number two is an old time favorite and I usually use yellow squash for this recipe but why not use zucchini?! Zucchini relish.

This recipe has been passed down for three generations:

Eight cups of chopped zucchini 

Two cups of green and red bell pepper, chopped

Two cups of onion, chopped

Three cups of white sugar

Two cups of vinegar

Two teaspoons of mustard seed 

Two teaspoon of celery seed.

One Half cup of canning salt

Add all the chopped vegetables to enough water to cover them, add salt and allow to sit for two hours.

Drain Vegetables.

In a large saucepan add the sugar, vinegar, mustard and celery seed and bring to a boil.

Add drained vegetables and cook for five minutes.

Pour into hot sterilized pint jars and seal with lids, process in a hot water bath for five minutes.

Makes five pints.
 
 

Number Three is widely used but I still want to let people know how easy it is to just freeze the zucchini to fry later.

Take a large cookie sheet and slice zucchini in circles about one eighth to one quarter inch thick, put the cookie sheet in the freeze and allow the zucchini to freeze solid. Remove and using a spatula remove the zucchini and put into a freezer bag and date. That is it. 

When you remove the zucchini to use , just thaw slightly, roll into flour seasoned with salt and black pepper, drop into hot grease and fry. Very simple. Serve with a vegetable plate or as an appetizer with Marinara sauce.

I used three medium size zucchini for each cookie sheet, making two flat quart freezer bags full.
 
 

Number Four is what cooking is about ! Changing things up, Zucchini noodles. Since so many people can no longer eat flour based noodles so they are going to the zucchini noodle, especially for spaghetti and its so easy you`ll love them too! 

For two people I use two medium zucchini for dinner. I wash and snip the ends off. I then use my spiral cutter to make the noodle.

I drop them into boiling salted water for only a minute and then I drain, as they cook extremely fast.

I serve a good tomato base sauce over them zucchini noodles, garlic bread and you spaghetti.
 
 


That is how you do Zucchini four ways in one day.
 
 
By Andria Perry
All Photographs by Andria Perry 





8 comments:

  1. I do #3 and 4 often! But the jam looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to invest in a spiral slicer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious. I didn't know you could make jelly out of zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either and when I found this I tried and its delicious!

      Delete
  4. I miss having zucchini growing outside my kitchen door! I think of all the things I miss the most, it's having fresh lettuce, zucchini, and Swiss chard....

    These recipes look great! I'll have to try out the relish if we end up getting a lot of zucchini this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visit your local farmers market, you`ll support a farmer and get the best freshest food ever.

    ReplyDelete