Sunday, December 10, 2017

Getting Off The Grid - Off The Grid For 2 Days



I was off the power grid for a couple days, Absolutely no power and only a few batteries that did die.

We got an unexpected snow storm, where some predicted an inch and a melt off by evening, we got a foot out here in the woods and most of it is still on the ground. I woke to snow last Friday and it snowed all day.

We lost power early Friday morning and the temps stayed cold enough all day for the snow to continuously fall, the night was down into the 20`s and we had no power and no heat and still snowing.

I am thankful God gave me some sense, I did have plenty of blankets and comforters so sleeping was not a problem but I was lacking because I was not prepared to face a night without any type of heat, Me! Miss get off the grid and live free! Preparing for the worst. 

I have 4 solar powered lights so we were not in the dark and I used all the candles to warm one area, But.......

I do have a fireplace "but" it had not been checked out by a professional, "But" when it got cold enough, on Saturday morning and still no answer about when I would have power back, Tony looked it over, gave it the okay and we built a fire in the fireplace. It warmed Us and the house.

Around 2:45 Saturday evening, with the temps barely at 40 degrees the power came back on. I think God heard me up in heaven screaming "thank you!"

So what now?

Actually I am glad this happened because no matter how prepared I am for other things I was not prepared for a power outage in the winter because of a freak snow storm, if we get anything its usually in February.

The plan :

Tony will coat the inside of this fireplace to make sure there are no cracks or I will replace the unit. Finish cutting down the tree that was struck by lightening and stack the wood in the shed where it stays dry. I have three acres of woods and I can clean up what had fallen and use this for heat. This will be the number one back up while I am still on the grid.

I will buy a small propane tank and a two burner heater, This will be number two back up while I am still on the grid. 

The Plan For 2018 :

I have had enough of being on the power grid, Calling and begging them when it shuts down to restore it just for us to have heat. I will buy some type of solar power system in the year of 2018 for the house and something more for the greenhouse, plants cannot live like this either. 

I have to live and learn sometimes, Kind of felt Gods finger poking me in the shoulder, telling me get busy girl cause you are not there yet.


By Andria Perry
Photos By Andria Perry



We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”

18 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I think power outages are one of the best ways to know what we are missing in our preparedness. I love camping on my land in the winter and it has been very educational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it can be. I did not miss the t.v. or computer, just heat.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry you guys went through that. I am glad to hear it's back on. Prays do work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a pretty harrowing experience! Glad that you came through it OK and that it helped you to take stock of the things you need to do to get off the grid (or at least, be ready for the next emergency.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Necessity is the Mother of invention. Time to invent alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took figuring out another way to survive - but y'all came through! Amazing story!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yes it took snow to make me realize what I need.

      Delete
  6. I kind of envy your snow, but not your power loss. It is good that it has further motivated you to take the steps you want to take. Here's to being more prepared next go round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the heater I am going to buy, next is buying the tank to hold the gas.

      Delete
  7. Even in the city we sometimes need help to stay warm when Mother Nature turns nasty. My wood stove has come to the rescue more than once....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in the city I had gas heat because we often lost power.

      Delete
  8. Glad you are back on the power grid! We were out in the middle of winter for 7 days ... I am "now" overly prepared :) - glad you and Tony are safe and warm !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will be prepared for the next time.

      Delete
  9. Love the picture of your snow and pleased you now have power back on...It sometimes takes that to make us realise how much more we still have to do doesn't it but..You will get there and pleased all ok now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty but I did not get to play in the snow because of the cold, no heat to warm back up.

      Delete
  10. My poor old house (built between 1825-1875 - the records show a "structure" was build in 1825, but other records do not mention the house by name until 1875)has a leaking roof that we've tried to patch up several times, but it still leaks. I can't do the work anymore and can't afford to hire so it sits and I get sick to my stomach every time it rains.
    I would love to make the new roof (if ever I can afford one at all) a solar roof ! That would be amazing and sure make life better out there in the country and would give me some independence too. Someday :)

    ReplyDelete